Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

My Favorite Statue


Those who have been to the Louvre have seen this statue. It’s called Winged Victory of Samothrace, or Nike of Samothrace. I always forget the fancy name at the end and call it Winged Victory.

I saw the statue for the first time in the summer of 1993. I didn’t know anything about it then, but fell in love instantly. It’s displayed right across some steps once you’re in the museum so you can’t miss it. I spent a lot of time at the Louvre while I lived in Paris. I must have gone there two or three times a week. I went early in the morning, the middle of the day, and even late at night. I went when the museum was closed, I snuck into secret underground excavation sections, and I walked around the thing too many times to count. I even have specific memories of the Louvre tied to smell. When I pick up a certain scent, I’m reminded of the metro station right at the castle. I can’t describe the scent; I just know it when I smell it. There are a lot of things I love about the Louvre, but this statue is my favorite. I love how it tells a story. I love how it’s imperfect. I love that it has survived 2,200 years.

There aren’t any words of advice or deep meaning in today’s post. I just wanted to share something that I love and hope you’ll find inspiration from it, too.

 ~ Jamie

3 comments:

  1. There's definitely a story there. I can imagine her looking out over a battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's fun to imagine what she saw and where she came from. The possibilities are endless.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen this in person, but I have seen pictures. It's lovely and inspirational. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete

Say hello or add to the discussion.